‘Ambition’ – What Does It Mean?
“Ambition’ is a key term in the Paris Agreement. It can have multiple meanings in an NDC:
SCOPE : how many sectors are covered, including the land use sector (forestry and agriculture)? For rich countries: does it specific a ‘climate finance’ contribution as part of the NDC
MITIGATION AND ADAPTATION: NDCs should contain actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but it should also contain actions to help farmers and vulnerable communities adapt to climate change.
GOOD PUBLIC PROCESS:‘ambition’ also signals the ways that the NDC will engage the public in responding to the climate challenge and allows for ongoing dialogue.
Okay, Now What?
The building blocks of the NDC can now be assembled. You decide which of the proposed six building blocks related to ‘land use’ and climate ambition you want to focus on. There are links to the six below. Develop specific requests for the NDC in these areas.
In some cases, you will be invited to give input at the beginning of the process that will lead to the ‘nationally determined contribution’. In other cases, the government or consultants will present a ‘draft’ NDC for consideration. In either case, it’s important that civil society, indigenous peoples, and community concerns are clearly articulated. The linked pages below can help you in discussions of key requests and recommendations.
Continue To ‘Ambition’ Sections
Fugitiae conecae net omnis alitas nihitis cipsapi storpos unto inti re lanihic iundisint itibus est ent eum
Conecae net omnis alitas nihitis cipsapi storpos unto inti re lanihic iundisint udandeb itibus est ent eum
Net omnis alitas nihitis cipsapi storpos unto inti re lanihic iundisint udandeb itibus est ent eum
Fugitiae net omnis alitas nihitis cipsapi storpos unto inti re lanihic iundisint udandeb itibus est ent eum
Net omnis alitas nihitis ciapi storpos unto inti re lanihic iitibus est ent eum
Fugitiae seconecae net omnis alitas nihitis cipsapi storpos unto inti re iundisint udandeb itibus est ent eum
Checklist For Climate Action
- Right of participation and/or ‘Free Prior and Informed Consent’ (FPIC)?
- Does the NDC Use of ‘rights-based approaches’ in the NDC, including land rights for indigenous peoples and local communities?
- Agriculture—What kinds of projects and approaches are proposed, if any?
- What adaptation plans are proposed? Do proposed projects promote national food security and farmer livelihoods?
- Forests—are any forest-sector mitigation or adaptation plans included? Is there a plan to restore forests? Plans for new forest plantations?
- Is conservation (protected area management, community conservation areas, new protected areas, indigenous reserves) included?
- ‘Forest Reference Level’ and other baselines—are these based on good data and realistic assumptions?
- REDD+ Is it included in the NDC? How will REDD+ programs be funded?
- Conditional NDC – is the government presenting ‘own effort’ as well as ‘conditional’ NDC?
- ‘Climate Finance’—Does part of the government’s mitigation ‘ambition’ comes from the use of offsets or other uses of carbon markets?